Friday, August 31, 2012

Winner 55 Word Challenge: Week Twenty-Four

Winner 55 Word Challenge:
Week Twenty-Four
 
 
Wow, this was a difficult choice this week. I liked them all! I was worried that with just “horror” art, some writers would bow out. You all rose to the occasion, which is good, because I have another artist lined up next week, whose work is pretty dark, but awesome. Lovecraftian comes to mind with some of the art from Thomas Arensberg. A special thank you to William Cook for inspiring such great stories this week.

As difficult as it was, I did narrow the list down. So here goes…
 
Honorable Mentions:
@J_M_Blackman Once again Jalisa awed me with her entry. I found the last line especially poetic.
@StuffedO I always wondered what happens to the odd sock and now I know. I think this would make a wonderful children’s story, especially if it is revealed what he does with the socks.
@DavidALudwig Again, another great story that was vividly told. It’s not easy to combine photos, but I think you did a great job here!
Winner:
Another great story that combined two photos… at least I think they did. Read it below.
 
FREEDOM

Where will you go that I cannot follow?

The chair beneath my feet wobbled.

There is no safe haven left to you.

Over and over, I could hear his spite, his triumph. I would never be free until he finished with me.

Unless¬—

“God forgive me.”

I tightened the noose.

Kicked the chair away.

Freedom.

@caramichaels
55 words (without title)
 
Monthly Winner:
 


 
 
Also, this is the end of the month, which means there is the monthly prize to give out. So... I have gone over the winners for this month and my favorite story was last weeks winner, @solimond
This one still makes me giggle. It probably shouldn't have, but it did. I'm demented like that.
Mama would be angry if she saw Marissa’s face. The girl smiled in the mirror, adjusting the mask with a stained hand.
 
What mama didn’t know, wouldn’t hurt her. If she found out, Marissa would have to go back to that smelly old hospital.
 
She pushed the body under the bed. No one would know.
 
Cara, I will need your email address to send you the gift card and Nellie, I'll need a mailing address to send you the bumpersticker. Just send me a DM. Cara, you can snatch the winners badge.
Thank you everyone for joining in the fun this week. Next week is my birthday and I have some special prizes planned. It’s going to be a celebration, so be sure to check back.
If you are an artist and would like to be featured, contact me at jezri@writing.com. Put #55WordChallenge in the subject line. If you would like to donate to help with prizes, I have a donate button on the upper right side of this page. I would like to do a Kindle Fire giveaway at Christmas, but I can’t afford it on my own. But such is life.
See you all next week and enjoy the holiday weekend!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment